Sunday, December 5, 2010

I'm the queen of the castle - by Haley

It's about time my Mom got me a little brother!  I have been trying to tell her I need one.  I ate the couch.  I dug up the sprinkler system three times.  I broke the fence three times.  Come on, Mom!  Get with the program, already!

Don't get me wrong - I love my Mom,.  She gives me lots of treats and petting and takes me to the park a lot to play with other dogs.  She lets me sleep with her.  And she takes me for jogs twice a day (although, who are we kidding?  I do the jogging - my Mom sits her lazy butt on a bike and pretty much lets me pull her along!)  But my Mom also spends a lot of time doing boring grown-up stuff instead of playing with me, so I get bored.

Finally, she clued in.  We adopted my little brother just before Thanksgiving.  We went to the same shelter where I rescued my Mom a little more than a year ago.  I had to go into a little room to meet my new brother to make sure we got along.  We sniffed each other's butts, and I told him it was fine with me if he comes to live with us as long as he brings his own treats.

I have tons of fun with him.  He can't catch me so I like to run as fast as I can around the yard and make him run after me.  But I'm totally in charge.  I always get to eat first and I get the petting and the training first.  I don't let him near me when I'm eating or when I have a treat, and he doesn't get to sleep in the bed.  He has to sleep in a crate.  I laugh at him because I remember those days!   My Mom says I'm still her favorite baby pie head but he is her little man now.

It's a lot of responsibility being the alpha female.  I have to bark at the door and chase the bad guys out of the back yard.  There are lots of bad guys, so I have to watch out for them.  I also had to help my Mom teach my brother to walk on a leash.  He's pretty good at it, but he still tries to eat the leash.  Kids! 

But I'm much calmer now.  Instead of destroying my Mom's stuff, I just chase my brother.  It's much more fun.  But my Mom says we have to calm down and relax a lot because my brother is a coughy-head, whatever that means.  I don't know what it means, but good luck getting us to calm down.  My Mom and I still go for our (my) jogs, but now after we are done we have to come home and take Pilgrim for a walk.  He's way too slow.  One day I'll have to teach him how to jog with me.  Mom says then she will stop riding her bike and instead buy a chariot.

No comments:

Post a Comment